Sunday, May 17, 2009

Others say it better...

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since. "Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me, "just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had."

F. Scott Fitzgerald (The Great Gatsby)

“New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.”

Kurt Vonnegut (Cat's Cradle)

"What a miracle it is to be loved at all"

Zack Melton (Make Your Muscles)

"First of all:
I am tired.
I am true of heart!

And also:
You are tired.
You are true of heart!"

Dave Eggers (A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius)

"We're a working title for a really long book,
and when you were watching my hands just shook.
But if it came too easy it wouldn't be worth all the time that it took."


The Promise Ring (Things Just Getting Good)

"It was like listening to the record of a symphony before you knewanything at all about the music, what the instruments might sound like, look like, what portion of theorchestra each represented: 
there were only volumes and velocities, thickenings and thinnings, the winding cries of change 
that seemed to touch within you, through your body, to be part of you and then apart from you."
C.K. Williams (First Desires)


No comments:

Blog Archive