Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thoughts On The August Issue of Elimae

Steve Stringer's "I Can Only Do Great Things If You Die" does heavy things. It's quirky, but it's so nice. It's an narrative, but it's really not. It's an elegy, but only kind of. Beautiful stuff.

J.A. Tyler seriously brings it with "You Sometimes Reverse Me." But really, the dude always bring it. I have no clue how to talk about my marriage. This little piece might help.

I really didn't like this poem. Cool epigraph though.

Amy Bergen's 181st and Cabrini rules. I love this speaker. Here are a few examples of why:
"I think I could stay and let the car shine right into me or go climb the gates of the George Washington Bridge or get my feet wet. I weigh too much to be a speedboat on the river"
"Human beings gum up the walkway with strollers and canes and bikes. Human beings are radiant."
"A gold spray-painted bicycle was chained to a Stop sign and I thought it was one of those bikes they put up where a cyclist has died, an angel bike, but probably it was a just a gold spray-painted bicycle."

Site Work by Scot Siegel paints a tiny picture and man it is tuff.

Woah just woah.

Remains by Jesus Castillo shouts "I am important AND beautiful."

HEY "This Is Not A Celebration of Our Fathers" WAS CHURNING SOME COOL BUTTER THEN BOOM THAT ENDING THING WANTED TO BE ALL DEEP AND TOUCHING AND I DIDN'T LIKE IT. THE REST THOUGH SERIOUSLY COOL.

Metropolitan Diary by Mike Topp is like a really good joke that somehow makes my head hurt. Ouch.

Ryan Ridge can talk about any part of the house any day.

Note to self: Write a poem using the word shtick. It won't be as cool as this one by Brian Beatty.

It's late and I can't really think of what to say about "Leaky Roof" by Philip Brooks, but I know I like this poem a lot a lot a lot and it uses exclamation points well. I don't know.

No comments:

Blog Archive