Sunday, August 2, 2009

The honeymoon is over...



We got home around 9:30 last night, and much to my surprise, though I had never told Sara my worry, the apartment had not burned down. I had a tiny worry I had left a burner on the stove after making an egg and cheese english muffin sandwich the morning of our departure. But I was responsible and we still have a home.

I know we are both glad to be home. Last night, we put away all of the crap we bought or were given, which we probably didn't need, like outlet books and kitchen gadgets. We still like having things; it makes us feel American.

We have already knocked out several items on the To-Do-Upon-Return list. Grocery shopping. Hang our new sign (we got one of those cheeseball wooden signs proclaiming "The Gobbles"), new thank you notes for NC gift givers (you sweethearts), put away crap and non-crap, eat.

What a great week it was! Awesome time in North Carolina (disc golf, family get-together, time with my often-lost brother). Super Awesome time in Gatlinburg (homey cabin , hiking, lots of candy/ice cream, lovin'). Clark-time (Qdoba, catching up, Julianna and her upscale home). The car rides didn't suck either.

From Monday afternoon to Friday evening, Sara and I were completely alone, besides the approximately 1 million tourists flocking to Gatlinburg. I can say that is a first. We talked about things that I like to talk to Sara about (Shaquille O'neal, Top 10 lists, the states of our bodies, her affection for dogs). We are real deep.

I am glad we waited 2 months to take a honeymoon.

Now, we are back and things are changing. Like my hair, which should be cut soon, and my beard, also in need of a cutting. Also, school starts in 3 weeks. We will be busy (both individually and as Mr. and Mrs.), because we like that.

Another change: my old room at Zach's apartment is no longer my old room. It is now Derek Crownover and Lorynn Evans' room. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet, though we will surely find out tomorrow night. Game night! I hope I don't make a fool of myself.

Darrin is settled(ish) in St. Louis. I HATE looking at his empty apartment down the way. It has been less than 2 weeks, and I feel a huge void. He is volunteering for several organizations (Washington University, Habitat For Humanity, etc.) and riding his bike around the city. Sounds like fun.

One of my closest friends, Jesse, still has not returned a call, text, shout, etc. in approaching a month now. I have no clue why, and neither does apparently anyone else. Of course, I am upset, frustrated, confused, sad, etc. But as time presses on, I grow more curious. I liked the direction our friendship was going, and now it is not one. 2nd strangest situation of my life. I may or may not tell number 1 soon or later.

Well, I think I am going to go do something on my to-do list. Haircut maybe.

New Modest Mouse B-sides EP on Tuesday. Cool!!!!!!!

No comments:

Blog Archive