Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Writing Stuff Lately

Today, I visited an entire day's worth of 8th grade English classes to talk about poetry. The students responded well to my own poetry that I presented. Still, I'm glad that I changed my career path away from Secondary English Education.

*

Recently, I read the Selected Poems of W.S. Merwin and Then, Suddenly by Lynn Emanuel. Both were nice collections. Merwin's mid to later stuff was the best. Emanuel surprised me quite a bit with her variety. Now, I am in the middle Allegory of the Supermarket by Stephanie Brown.

*

Also, I read The Rocket's Red Glare by David Peak. I had things to say about that over at the Writers Community blog. I'll probably post the whole thing here soon as well.

*

Here is a short poem I wrote:

The Great Spaghetti Factory

Your innards were
spaghetti and meatballs
piled high in the bowl
of your bones.
Meaty marinara wafted
from your veins, carried
by the air atmosphere,
like a carrier pigeon.
From the hungry corners
of the earth, Central Africa,
lower Ohio, North Korea,
ran humans, shiny forks
in hand, bibs tied tight around
naked necks, chests bare
and ravenous like the lion
in the zoo.

*

Tomorrow night, I'm reading at Village Green Records. I'm excited.

*

Soon, many of my friends are leaving for the summer. I'll have plenty to write about, like my poor soul and my broken heart.

2 comments:

shaun said...

I would LOVE to talk to eighth graders about poetry.

They would love poetry, but I wouldn't be allowed to finish my presentation/come back, though.

Tyler Gobble said...

Ha. Shaun, I can only imagine. I kept my shirt on the whole day!

Blog Archive