Monday, October 18, 2010

Five Dolphins Flippin' Out


1. That is Jumex. It is empty. The box promises it is 100% Nectar, but I'm not sure what all that entails. I know it is empty. I know it was delicious.

2. I just finished reading "Mantodea" from How They Were Found , Matt Bell's fabulous debut story collection. I don't remember ever reading this piece before, but man it is a hard hitter, there's some swallowing of nails, coins, etc., some bathroom sex, and a whole lot of obsession. Matt's stories do a nice job of building, taking odd/crazy/horrifying things and piling them atop each other. Once he lets the steam out at the end, I kind of feel dead, but like a good dead or something. I'll definitely write some kind of big response to this book once I get to it. I'm not sure why you wouldn't own this book, but here is a good place to get it if you don't.

3. I DONT WANNA BEG BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SUBMIT TO THE BROKEN PLATE.

4. Wednesday October 27th Blazers vs. Clippers on ESPN. That's the start of my NBA season right there. I haven't been this stoked for a Clippers game since....uh-oh.

5. Next semester, I'm doing an independent study poetry class with Todd, compiling "an undergraduate thesis/chapbook manuscript." For the class, I'll be studying/reading lots of first books and chapbooks, primarily ones that have won contests/awards, and working on my own manuscript. Probably an extra-ambitious project and super hopeful, but hey, I need another class and how fun does that sound: SUPER FUN. I'm looking for suggestions on books to read/study. THANKS.

2 comments:

DB said...

you should read the cow by ariana reines. published by fence books. it's her first book and it's pretty sick.

Tyler Gobble said...

THANKS DAN

I'll add it to the list. Let me know if any other books pop up in that head of yours.

I'm so stoked about this class.

Blog Archive