Monday, October 18, 2010

Five Dolphins Flippin' Out


1. That is Jumex. It is empty. The box promises it is 100% Nectar, but I'm not sure what all that entails. I know it is empty. I know it was delicious.

2. I just finished reading "Mantodea" from How They Were Found , Matt Bell's fabulous debut story collection. I don't remember ever reading this piece before, but man it is a hard hitter, there's some swallowing of nails, coins, etc., some bathroom sex, and a whole lot of obsession. Matt's stories do a nice job of building, taking odd/crazy/horrifying things and piling them atop each other. Once he lets the steam out at the end, I kind of feel dead, but like a good dead or something. I'll definitely write some kind of big response to this book once I get to it. I'm not sure why you wouldn't own this book, but here is a good place to get it if you don't.

3. I DONT WANNA BEG BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SUBMIT TO THE BROKEN PLATE.

4. Wednesday October 27th Blazers vs. Clippers on ESPN. That's the start of my NBA season right there. I haven't been this stoked for a Clippers game since....uh-oh.

5. Next semester, I'm doing an independent study poetry class with Todd, compiling "an undergraduate thesis/chapbook manuscript." For the class, I'll be studying/reading lots of first books and chapbooks, primarily ones that have won contests/awards, and working on my own manuscript. Probably an extra-ambitious project and super hopeful, but hey, I need another class and how fun does that sound: SUPER FUN. I'm looking for suggestions on books to read/study. THANKS.

2 comments:

daniel bailey said...

you should read the cow by ariana reines. published by fence books. it's her first book and it's pretty sick.

Tyler G said...

THANKS DAN

I'll add it to the list. Let me know if any other books pop up in that head of yours.

I'm so stoked about this class.

Blog Archive