Monday, December 6, 2010

Influence

So, I found this poem in my "Completed" folder on my flash disk and I thought it was interesting.

Instructions for Reading My Poems

This would be a good time
for you to open your eyes.

If you are a friend or relative
who thinks I waste a lot of time

writing these “poems,” then it
might be wise to take deep

consideration of my poems’ meanings.
If you are confused by my words,

read slower. Facebook me saying,
What the hell does this mean?

I might say idk. I might say I don’t know.
Any way, I think reading my poems

is the first step to reading my poems.
They are better than tabloids. If you

are a friend or relative, you should find
more use in my poems than in a tabloid.

If this is not the case, you are a bad friend
or relative and I’ve done all I can do.


Without checking the date, I can tell you that I wrote this around the time I read Poetry!Poetry!Poetry! by Peter Davis, due to the sense of humor and some of the syntax.

Also, this reminds me that I'll be giving the Christmas chapbook to my non-poetry reading family and friends soon, most of their first exposure to my work, and this is kind of how I feel, though maybe less rude about it.

Do you share your creative work with family and friends?

No comments:

Blog Archive